FACTS ON EDUCATION IN INDIA
* In India,only 53% of habitation has a Primary School
* Only 20% of habitation has a Secondary School
* On an average an Upper Primary School is 3 km away in 22% of areas under
* In nearly 60% of schools,there are only less than 2 teachers to teach
classes I standard to V th Standard.
* On an average ,there are less than 3 teachers per Primary School.They have to
manage classes from I standard to Vth standard every day.
* High cost of private education(English medium)and the need to work to support
their families and little interest in studies are the reasons given by 3 in every
4 drop-outs as the reason as to why they leave schools.
* Dropout rates increase alarmingly in class III standard to V th standard,
its 50% for boys,and 58% for girls.
* 1 in 40 of every Primary Schools in India are conducted in open spaces or
tents without building.
* More than 50 percent of girls fail to enroll in school:those who do are likely
to drop out by the age of 12. 53% of girls in the age group of 5 to 9 years
* 53 % of girls in the age group of 5 to 9 years are illiterate.
* 50 % of Indian children aged 6-18 do not go to school.
* A little Over one third of all children only enroll in grade 1 reach grade 8.